Saturday, August 17, 2013

OH SHIT! forgot my Inuyama trip !

August 16, 2013.  Okay, this is ridiculous.... I forgot about my trip to Inuyama which happened BEFORE I went to mt Fuji.... geezzz.  So I went to Inuyama on August 7 to check out Inuyama castle, one of the few original castles in Japan, i.e not a reconstructed castle.  Most castles in Japan, such as the famous Osaka castle, are replicas of the original since most were burned down during the war.  Inside these replica castles always museums.  Interesting to learn the history too however, I am quite excited to see original work still standing!
Parts of the castle town... old Japan look (^^)
Of course it was scorching hot that day... Definitely this time I need an umbrella... a hat won't even do.  A little history of Inuyama castle.  The castle was until recently was privately owned by Naruse family, after owned by Oda clan, they owned of the castle from hmmm.... few centuries ago, around 1617 according to Wiki.  Only in the year 2004 it was donated to foundation set up by Aichi board of education.  Other than that, I couldn't really dig into more history surrounding the castle and not much found on wiki either.
It's not often I am able to take pics without a thousand crowds around,
but today seems to be an exception, especially because Inuyama is quite
a touristy place
Inuyama city could be reach by meitetsu line, so you can't use JR rail pass.  It was relatively cheap to go there, since it's not far.  You can reach Inuyama castle by stopping at Inuyama station or Inuyama Yuen station.  Even though Inuyama yuen station is closer to the castle, I think to stop at Inuyama station, you can then walk through the neat old Japan look of castle town and very very neat stores of handmade souvenirs, check out the castle then off to the temples and monkey park nearby Inuyama yuen castle.  Then after, head back to Nagoya from Inuyama Yuen castle.  Smart huh? (^^)  Basically what I was trying to say was start at Inuyama station cuz most attractions seems to be near Inuyama Yuen, except for the castle town...which is interesting... and shouldn't be missed ^^.... definitely.... especially if you're into nice handmade one of a kind Japanese souvenir :D
My visit of the castle was interesting.... definitely nice to be able to see and touch the big wooden structures of the inside of the castle and to go up the famous steep wooden stair case to the top of the castle.  Not much to say about this castle, however this is one of those national treasure and the city itself definitely worth visiting, as there are other attractions around the city.
Another spot I visited since we still have time was a temple called Naritasan, and it's located on a hill not far from Inuyama castle.  The temple itself was quiet that day (the whole city was quiet that day... after all, it was maybe close to 40C + humidity that day).  On the way there, I only saw one sign in Japanese of where it is then no more sign.  I had to ask some monks from nearby temple, and they told me to go up a set of stairs which looks intimidating from below but not so much after I went up.  After a visit to Naritasan, it was just way too hot to be wondering around so we decided to head back to Nagoya.
About asking directions in Japan, I read few stories of that even when you attempted to speak Japanese, the fact that you're a foreigner sometimes refrain locals from responding because they worried that they're going to have to speak English (even though you just ask them question in Japanese....).  I haven't run into this problem, if anything, locals kept talking to me even  when I said I don't really understand what they say, then they said ow, didn't u speak Japanese just now? Hehe, very cute ... but yes, I haven't run into anyone who said 'me donno English' or said so in Japanese and walk away.... everyone I met so far along the way are quite pleasant and willing to help.... So yes, if you are happened to travel to Japan, it's still worth learning how to ask direction at least, because people's respond maybe a lot more kind than what you would expect.... and it's always such honor to locals when you at least tried to speak to them in their language and not assuming everyone should understand English..... at least that's how I felt when tourist attempted to speak Indonesian to locals.... maybe some people had such confusing experience and that's unfortunate, maybe that's just a stereotype, but I heard many good stories from travelers I met so far how some locals just took them to where they want to go instead of trying to explain the direction.  Funny how I run into this kinda situation in Singapore instead.... seriously.....:D.
I just wish it would've been a little cooler that day.  I was sure it was around 40C with humidity, considering I don't usually gets lightheaded easily but I did.  The city itself looks very interesting and  there are places other than the castle that looks interesting to visit and check out.  Although... I recommend maybe spring or fall weather would be more friendly :D











What's a castle without a shrine on the way? Many many many
shrines in Japan, for Shinto religion... some are big, and some are small



Similar to Fushimiinari in Kyoto... except for these ones
are countable :D


Yay! found him! One of the castle in its original state! So excited!


Ninja staircase... only for those fine ninja feet.... kidding....
(^^) steep and narrow original staircase so enemies cannot
take over the castle easily

I wanna wear this!

.... or mabe the red one (^^)... blue isn't my colour (^^)

Hehe... my private ninja hole (^^) ..... Enemy spotted! (^^) 




Many cemetaries in this area.... hmmmm


Narita san Temple



Awwh ^^ can you see Inuyama castle? 




No comments:

Post a Comment