Wednesday, August 7, 2013

I'm catching up on posts.... trying (^^)

August 7, 2013.  Okay, so with a little reminder I remember now what I did on Saturday.  I went to a summer festival in a place called Kakuozan.  From Nagoya station, take Higashiyama line and stop at the station called Kakuozan.  The place where the festival was held was not hard to find, just follow girls wearing yukata (traditional Japanese summer kimono) and you should not get lost :D .... that's what I did :D (in this case, following the crowd may not be a good idea because there's always crowd at the subway stations :D ) It's very common for Japanese women (and men, though not as common) to wear yukata to attend festivals.  Considering the heat of that day, I could only imagine how hot and boiling to be inside those very very pretty yukata.  It was a small festival, compared to some of the bigger, more extravagant festivals such as Nebuta Matsuri in Aomori, oh, and another one usually held at Sensoji temple in Asakusa, Tokyo (I can't remember the name).  This festival reminded me a lot of the fringe in Saskatoon, and I am glad most of the vendors here are small business of handmade all sorts of stuff (very very nice handmade stuff... like VERY nice), because definitely credit card is not an option of payment.  Many people selling handmade things from t-shirts, pottery, geta (seriously NICE geta or japanese wooden sandals), accessories, woodworks, etc. The difference with the fringe is that most of the stuff sold here you can't really find anywhere else because they're made by the seller themselves, so hehe... very hard for me to try to hold back on opening my wallet..... well..... I gave in for some stuff :D Of course, what is Japanese matsuri (festival) without food? There are the usual finger food, such as the chicken in a cup, yakisoba, pizza, kakigoori (shaved ice), .... hmmmm.... what else? Great yumminess all around.  The festival was completed by performances by local artist.  Cheerleading elementary kids, capoeira, singer, and belly dancers.... as far as I know..... maybe there were more after we left.  I hope I get to see more while I'm in Japan this summer.... especially some big and extravagant ones.... Seems like there won't be any though anytime soon :(



Chicken in a cup..... sorry, not a very good pic :(
Chicken in a cup guys


The girl on the left wearing yukata... if you're looking for a matsuri follow the yukata wearing girls :D


Capoeira performance 

No comments:

Post a Comment