Saturday, February 9, 2013

Puncak's Safari Park... a side trip from Jakarta

One of the popular destination for Jakarta people on holiday is to go to Puncak, which is an area surrounding Mt Pangrango and Mt Gede, on the way to Bogor, one of the satellite city of Jakarta.  The word 'puncak' literally means peak or summit.  After I got back from Bali in 2012, my dad, Viv and I was going to spend the night there, but due to the time constrain and traffic consideration, we decided not to and just made a day trip to Safari Park.  It takes about two hours drive when the traffic is smooth, but could take forever on the weekend, since a lot of people from Jakarta owned villas there.  We went on week day, so it didn't take us long before we got there.  I went on wikitravel to see if there's a way to get to Puncak by bus or train, but apparently none mentioned, only car.  However, you can catch the train or bus to Bogor (train may be better), hang out in Bogor and see the botanical garden (the one that has the stinky giant Rafflesia flower), eat some pickles, then catch the bus to Puncak.  Bogor is another destination for Jakarta people for the holiday.  I had been to the botanical garden with the school field trip and remembered enjoying the garden itself during our picnic lunch! Next time, I am planning to get Shinji to stay for at least a week and a half in Jakarta, so we could go to Puncak and actually enjoy the views of the mountains and the tea plantations... this time, just my little reminder of the place. 

My first impression? I love this safari park.... I was quite pleased with the fact that they look like they were well taken care of!  They're friendly and fat, also have a nice coat on them which indicated that they're well nourish.  Most of the animals here had learn that this big thing that rolls through the streets with little people in it sometimes has carrots sticking out of them... haha, cuz people likes to feed these guys carrots, despite advise not to feed them..... My dad said, now all the animals here had learn to be food beggar :D 
Amazing tusk these water buffaloes have.... I bet those guys in their fancy cars quite nervous as they pass by :D .... aww... look how fat they are (^^) 
Lazy bum.... what I love about safari park the most? We are the ones in cage :D! I don't like the zoo too much because I don't like to see animals in close captivities (this still is a captivities, but at least they have huge space to roam)  The predators do have to be enclosed though, so they don't prey on the other animals in the park (and people :D).  I love the fact that these guys gets to run around free.... ummm, not these guys actually cuz the zebras won't be too thrilled about getting chased around by them all the time :D 
The boys always sleeping eh?  Woman keep the watch :D

Another dude? Can't tell.... :D 

He doesn't like me :(   

Mountain goats of Africa... awwwww... so cute and fat! 

Komodo dragon.... Originally from Komodo Island, a little island off  the island of Sumbawa, Indonesia.  Their saliva is full of deadly germs, therefore their prey will die slowly of septic shock while he hovers around waiting for them to die.  Komodo Island is one of the new 7 wonders of the world and they are considered protected species.   I was planning to go to Komodo Island from Bali, but the trip is so far, we didn't have enough time.... especially because I want to travel slowly and maybe stopped by Lombok and Sumbawa before heading there.. ah well, next time !  Another excuse to go back to Indonesia again and again! 
This guy was training eagle, I was going to take his picture, but he said I have to wait till his little one finish training :( then he forgot about me ... but it was quite interesting to see him training these guys too... a bangau... can't remember what it called in English :D

Beautiful sunset on the way home..... We made a good decision to make it a day trip, because on the way home, the opposite traffic from Jakarta was horrible, while our traffic going towards Jakarta was smooth!  My last day in Indonesia....  Really not looking forward to go back to Canada..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment